Liposcuction after care
- After your operation, you will need to stay in hospital for a night.
- You will have some bruising over the area that has been treated. Sometimes this can be extensive, and can last for three weeks or more.
- The treated area will be swollen and will feel lumpy and very tender. This will take several months to completely settle and you may not see the full benefit of your surgery for up to six months. Surface imperfections and skin dimpling (cellulite) may remain.
- There will be stitches in the tiny insertion wounds that are covered with a small dressing. The dressings need to be kept clean and dry until your follow-up appointment a week later, when the stitches will be removed.
- You are likely to need painkillers for several days after the operation. We will give you a supply to take home.
- You will need to wear the provided support garment day and night for 4 to 5 weeks and during the day for a further 4 weeks.
- You may experience water retention or swelling. If your abdomen has been treated, this may occur in your genitals; if your legs have been treated it can occur in your ankles. Ankle liposuction can result in swollen ankles for several months.
- You will need to take 48 hours complete rest after the operation. After that, gradually build up your activities as you feel able over the next 2 weeks, avoiding anything too strenuous.
- Depending on your occupation and the size of the area treated, you may consider returning to work in 7 to 14 days, depending on how comfortable you feel.
- There may be numbness in the treated skin and you may experience the very occasional ‘stabbing-like’ discomfort while the area is healing (3 to 6 months).
- The scars will take 12 to 18 months to fully fade. Some can become lumpy and remain raised for this time. Their final appearance varies from person to person.
For further information visit:
BAAPS - BAPRAS - SICPRE
Tel 0117 910 2400 Fax 0117 930 4394
Bristol Plastic Surgery , 58 Queen Square , Bristol BS1 4LF